|PRIDE Committee||Axtell Development Corporation||Axtell Busy Bees 4-H|
|American Legion - Post #214||Axtell Lodge # 234 - Masons||Axtell Harvest Festival|
|Axtell Alumni Association||Axtell Volunteer Fire Dept.||City Improvement Committee|
|Community Ambulance - E.M.T.'s||K. of C. - Council # 1163|
Officers for 2003-2004:
Officers for 2003:
Through the years there is one activity in Axtell that remains on the same date each year - that is the Axtell High School Alumni Banquet. It is a time for the gathering of old friends and classmates, some who only see each other every five, ten or 25 years! The Saturday evening of Memorial weekend you will find past graduates of AHS gathering to share memories! Now Axtell Alumni can post their news on this Web Site so other alumni can be informed. Alumni information can be sent to Axtell High School, 500 Pine St, Axtell, KS 66403 or can be sent e-mail by accessing the Alumni Page on this web site.
Early ambulance service in the community was provided by the funeral homes. Their hearses doubled as ambulances to provide care for Axtell and the surrounding communities. As time progressed, increasing regulations made it to where funeral homes were no longer to provide ambulance service. Bill Landreth of the Landreth-Thornburg Funeral Home, who was the last funeral home in the county to stop ambulance service, stopped his ambulance service January 1, 1972.
The city council then explored ways to provide continued ambulance service to the city of Axtell and the surrounding communities. In May 1972, Hight Ambulance Service of Marysville made an ambulance available. The unit was temporarily housed in the firehouse and was operated by the volunteer firemen. The bills for service were paid to Hight, and Bill Landreth and Joe Werner drove quite a bit for the firemen.
Around 1975 the city took over the ambulance service. The increasing number of regulations resulted in the need of having the people who transported the patients to have special training, which originated the EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) classes. The city of Axtell paid for, and continues to do so, the classes to train the EMT's with the stipulation that they give at least one year of service in return.
Around 1978 the first EMT's were certified. They were Ernie Perry, Bob McKinley and Jean Heinen. In the following two years, Rosa Norwood, Claire "Smokey" Hill, Greg Heiman, Lila Alfers and Jackie Strohmeyer were certified. In 1985 Arlie Haug, Laura Schmelzle and Elizabeth Ronnebaum passed their state board EMT exams. Later came Demitry Evancho and Mike Ronnebaum and the last class, 1992, certified Carol Holthaus, Polly Carlson, Roy Buessing and Stan Broxterman.
The first ambulance for the city of Axtell was a white Mercury station wagon. Community fund-raisers netted the funds to purchase our next ambulance, a 1974 Dodge, in April 1980. Funds from the sale of the hospital furnished the money to buy equipment for this unit. The next unit purchased was a new 1982 Ford Status ambulance and the present unit, which was purchased new in 1990, is a Ford Collins ambulance.
Equipment uses and needs have changed greatly over the years. Early ambulances did not even carry oxygen. The first radios in our units were purchased from funds from the Helvering estate. The unit in use today carries an AED automatic external defibrillator with heart monitor, electric blood pressure cuff and a cellular phone.
The community takes great pride in their ambulance service and the quality of health care the workers deliver to Axtell and the surrounding community. The ten present members of the Axtell ambulance service have over 80 years of experience between them. Bob McKinley, one of the original members, is still in active duty with over 18 years of service to the community. In April, 1997, the Axtell community suffered a great loss in the death of its EMT director, Mrs. Alan (Elizabeth) Ronnebaum. She not only was involved with the EMT's but played a significant role in the writing of the History book for Axtell's 125th Anniversary. Much of the text used in this web site was taken from the History book Elizabeth helped write.
R. R. Hendricks Post #214 was chartered on January 28, 1920. The charter members were as follows: Lionel Barnes, Dr. F. S. Deem, Ralph Foster, Elba Stine, Glen Maneval, Ernest Mack Jr., Roland Labbe, Dr. E. W. Mulkey, Roy Funk, Harley Welborn, Lee Welborn, Glen Deane, Pat O'Neil, Jay Meara, Edwin Meara, Mayburn Jeffery, Clayton Stevenson, Perry Keegan, Pat McMahon, J. S. Lundin, Elmer Ford.
The post has been active since that time and is still very active as of this date. They annually sponsor the Memorial Day services and in recent years have sponsored the "Avenue of Flags" at both cemeteries in Axtell. They participate in military funerals for deceased veterans in the area. The post takes an active role in the community by the management and renting the Legion/ Community Hall in downtown Axtell. The present hall was built in 1992 mainly through sponsorship by the Legion, Community and Knights' of Columbus along with contributions from individuals, both financial as well as labor. The hall is an asset to the community as an available place for community events, dinners, public sales, meetings, wedding receptions, anniversaries and yes; it also serves for funerals.
At the present time in 1996 there are 81 members of the post and of these members, 51 are lifetime members. The officers in 1997 are Barry Buessing commander, vice commander (is vacant at this time), and Kenneth Cain - adjutant. Irene Cain is in charge of the hall rentals as well as responsible for the maintenance of the hall.
Axtell Lodge #234 ancient Free & Accepted Mason was chartered February 19, 1885 with D. W. Archers as Master; Charles B. Thummul as Senior Warden; Charles D. Russell as Junior Warden; P. L. Wheeler. Secretary; Joseph Ely, Treasurer; John D. Gillispie, Junior Deacon; William Speak, Senior Deacon; and J. W. Sharp as Tyler.
Axtell Lodge was held in different locations in the Axtell business district. In 1916 Axtell Lodge had 163 members. Axtell Lodge is presently located in the old Wolfe Filling Station. The lodge now has 26 members: Master: Lloyde Goins; Senior Warden: Bernard H. Alfers, Jr.; Junior Warden: Bernie Alfers; Treasurer: Kim Winchell; Secretary: George C. Kenworthy; Senior Deacon: Robert White; Junior Deacon: Eddie H. Spangler; Senior Stewar: Gerald L. Smith; Junior Stewar: Leonard Kirk; Tyler: William Landreth, and Chaplain: Lloyde H. Goins.
Axtell Busy Bees 4-H Club was first chartered in 1937 with Mrs. Lee Welborn and Ted Irvine as leaders and John Thompson as president. During this year the club traveled along with the Summerfield Club to Clay Center to represent the county at the 4-H Festival in model meeting. The club had its ups and downs with membership and interest and slowly faded away after five or six years of activities.
In 1947 the Axtell Busy Bees were reorganized with Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Bergmann, Durrell Harrison and Mrs. H. Hawkins as leaders. Officers were Barbara Sitler, Carolyn Hanson, Judy Parli, Jacqueline Christensen and Richard Hawkins, along with 36 members. The club again continued with a wide variety of activities until it disbanded in 1957 due to lack of membership.
The Busy Bees were back again in 1965 and are active today with 13 members. The club holds an annual pizza sales fundraiser to support their activities and community projects, the latest project being the "Welcome to Axtell"sign built in 1995.
The club since 1937 has served the community from paying for farm wells to be tested and recycling newspaper in the 1950s, to collecting for cancer drive and delivering Thanksgiving plates in the '70s. Things haven't changed in the '90s as the club still recycles newspaper, delivers Thanksgiving plates, highway cleanup, has exchange meetings, practices demonstrations and project talks and works on projects for the county fair. The club again returned to Clay Center in 1995 to represent the county at regional 4-H days doing a choreographed dance.
Axtell Busy Bees 4-H New Officers:
President- Austin Schmitz
Vice President- Audrey Schmitz
Treasurer- Bridgett Volle
Reporter- Winsten Mathewson
County 4-H Representatives- Tracy Schmitz and Winsten Mathewson
Recreation Leader-Brett Volle
Song Leader-Oliver Schmitz
e-mail contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Parades and community days have always been a part of Axtell. In more recent years people remember the hospital picnics and Axtell Centennial Day in 1972 put on by the Axtell Community club. Three thousand and one hundred people attended events of the day, a chicken and pork BBQ, chaired by Larry Heinen, was the main crowd drawer with a fashion show and tea, chaired by Marie Parli and Patty Carlson, horse show, free movies, tractor pull and parade. Dave Perry was also the winner of the beard contest sponsored by the local barber, Al Cervantes.
In 1976 Axtell was again celebrating, this year being the nation's bicentennial. Larry Wittmer chaired the events along with Ellen Winquist, vice chairman, and Kathy Saville, secretary treasurer. The day's activities include a parade, BBQ, concert and talent show.
By 1981 the businesses in Axtell got together to promote the town. Axtell Flea Market was begun with Sherry Ronnebaum, John Johnson and Roxie Schmitz in charge. Businesses held sidewalk sales along with the high school band and the Little Red Dirt Bind playing. In 1982 the activities grew and the name changed to the AXTELL HARVEST FESTIVAL. Events included a parade, volleyball tournament, fashion show, talent show, street dance and pork BBQ.
Each year the day's list of events grew, and the original events grew in size, craft show and flea market, children's games, entertainment such as the Messengers gospel singers, quilt show, lawn tractor driving contest, tractor pull and car show were added. By 1988 the parade consisted of 100 entries including 11 Shrine units. Every organization in town seemed to be involved including firemen, EMT's, Young Farmers and Businessmen, 4-H and the local church groups.
Sherry Ronnebaum and Jane Buessing were chairman of the Harvest Festival Committee for seven years until Barb Campbell, Lou Jenkins and Terry Rottinghaus took over in 1989. Bill Landreth took charge of the parade from '82 until the last festival in 1989, Janice Koch led the children's games for many years, and Junior and Kieran Holthaus headed the tractor pulls.
In 1984 the Harvest Festival Committee also took over the Santa Claus Day from the Axtell Lions Club, serving a soup lunch, free movies for the kids and a visit from Santa who usually arrived by fire truck. The group continued this event until 1989 when the Young Farmers and Businessmen took over.
Another project of the committee was the building of Christmas decorations for Axtell. Built with funds from the Harvest Festival and Santa Claus Day were six giant snowflakes, two seven-feet elves and Happy Holidays which would span 5th Street. These were built with rebar, garland, lights and a lot of labor. Construction work was done in the garages of Virgil Ronnebaum, Regis Rochel and the basement of Sherry and Dave Ronnebaum's home. A 14-foot snowman was also purchased.
The Axtell Volunteer Fire Department was established in 1904. The first equipment purchased in 1905 came with a price tag of $1,250. Not much information is available about the early years of the Axtell Fire Department, but a 1908 issue of the Axtell Standard states: "Organized fire dept. of twenty men. Best fire fighting apparatus of any town its size not having a waterworks system."
It seems that in the 1950s the interest and enthusiasm of the department dwindled. All that was to change the night of December 28, 1958, when the Presbyterian Church, located in the 200 block of Maple Street, was burned to the ground. At that time the city fire truck was a 1932 model with a 50-gallon holding tank. Following the fire, the city council immediately saw the need for updated equipment. In February of 1959, the council accepted a bid of $8,475 for a new pumper truck with a 500 gallon capacity (left vehicle in picture) . In March of 1959, the Fire Department reorganized and Fire Chief A. G. Gress undertook training of new and old members.
Now in 1998, the pumper truck is still in use along with a 1,600 gallon water tanker, which was renovated in 1992. The rescue truck was purchased and rebuilt in 1988 with the Jaws of Life being added in January of 1992. The year 1992 was a big one for the department with an addition being built onto the firehouse to accommodate the new equipment. In 1997, the Seneca, Kansas purchased a new pumper truck and were selling their old 1978 pumper truck. It was in excellent condition and was purchased by the City of Axtell to supplement its fleet.
The 1998 Fire Department boasts 25 members with Gary Buessing as fire chief. They meet on the last Monday of the month for practice, drills and to check equipment.
Since that fateful night in the winter of 1958, the Axtell Volunteer Fire Department has striven to be a group of well trained, well-organized individuals committed to protecting our community.
"Giving Catholic Men the Opportunity to practice the Corporal Works of Mercy."
A community "Fish Fry" was scheduled for February 1996. Local churches furnished salads, baked potatoes, breads and desserts. The Axtell K of C fried the 350 pounds of fish and other donations included baked beans, paper goods, ice and drinks. The meal was served in the Axtell Legion-Community building to over 500 people. The many willing workers doing the serving and clean up made it a fun as well as profitable event.
Several sample decorations were on display for the weekend, and everyone had the opportunity to express their preferences.
Thanks to the support of the community and surrounding areas the group was able to order decorations for the summer delivery along with some red, white and blue banners to be used on national holidays.
Another "Fish Fry" was scheduled for February 1997, to add to the funds for the next project, which had not been determined when this history book went to print. Suggestions, donations, members and volunteers are always welcome and encouraged.
|Axtell Lions Club||Jaycees / Young Farmers and Businessmen|
|Original Hospital 1929 - 1958||Loyal Neighbors Club|
|Last Community Hospital 1958 - 1972|
The club served the Axtell community well for several years with an extremely wide range of projects. Probably the first big project of the newly formed club was when the charter members built the original roadside park at the junction of Highway 36 and K-110. The park has since been taken over by the State of Kansas, but in the beginning, the Lions did all the work by hand to build the park and maintained it until the State took it over. Joe Werner even "witched" for the well in the park.
The Axtell Lions were strong supporters and benefactors for the local Axtell Hospital, establishing and maintaining a list of prospective blood donors and their blood types for use in emergencies. They were promoters and active "doers" in many of the hospital's fund-raising projects. They assisted greatly in the city recreation projects such as bleachers and backstop for the ball field, shelter house for the park and taking tickets at school events. During the dreaded Dutch Elm disease, the Lions cut and removed dead trees for the local citizens and then spearheaded a tree-planting project to replace the dead trees.
One of their main functions was to sponsor "Santa Claus Day" in Axtell. They took over the local cafe and served a variety of soups for lunch, collected the giveaway prizes from the local merchants for the drawing and made sure that the area kids got a chance to visit with Santa, view a movie and get their bag of treats.
The Axtell Lions celebrated their 25 years of community service October 2, 1980. Four of their charter members were still active members: Bill Landreth, Benton Luse, Gordon Norwood and Francis Gress. A dinner was served in St. Michael's Hall to 107 members, spouses and visitors from area clubs including Blaine Rush, past international director.
Probably the last major project of the Lions Club was the establishment of the Paul Grove Park, located on the corner of Guittard and Murray Streets in east Axtell. This area was originally the location of the Connet Elevator and was overgrown with weeds and brush. The Lions approached the city council with the idea of establishing a park for small children on this corner. The council agreed and much work was done to seed grass, plant trees and shrubs and do general landscaping. The park was named the Paul Grove Park after Paul Grove who was a Lion charter member and very active supporter of youth and all school activities in the area. The sign for the park was built by Regis Rochel.
Past presidents as listed in the 1980 celebration booklet were as follows: 1955 - Stanley Beans, 1956 - Max Dinsmore, 1957 - Francis Gress, 1958 - Don Van Dorn, 1959 - Ralph Werner, 1960 - John Winquist, 1961 - Bob Bartlett, 1962 - Bill Landreth, 1963 - Benton Luse, 1964 - Joe Werner, 1965 - Paul Grove, 1966 - George L. Search, 1967 - Bernard Alfers Jr., 1968 - Regis Rochel, 1969 - Stanley Swanson, 1970 - Claude Durkes, 1971 - Bill Landreth, 1972 - Jim Jerome, 1973 - Benton Luse, 1974 - Lybran Endsley, 1975 - Bobbie McDaniel, 1976 - Roy Nider, 1977 - Fenton Norwood, 1978 - Kim Winchell, 1979 - Clarence Wullschleger, 1980 - Bob West.
The Axtell Lions Club disbanded in approximately 1985 due to lack of interest and no new incoming members.
The Jaycees devoted themselves to community service. Thus, building new bleachers for the City Park was their first project. Through the years other projects were undertaken. Among them were developing the summer swim bus program, the Easter Egg Hunt, softball tournaments, building a city park shelter house, providing fencing for the ball field, helping at the Axtell Harvest Festival, supplying high school athletic schedules, sponsoring New Year's Eve dances and mini tractor pulls. They were also instrumental in developing the Low Income Housing Project.
Gradually, the Jaycees evolved into the Young Farmers and Businessmen Organization. Continuing their tradition of community service, they rebuilt the Eagle's Nest at the football field, remodeled the concession stand, re-shaped the baseball/football field, donated one-half the cost of new speakers for the public school, built a shelter house in Paul Grove Park, erected the fence around St. Michael's basketball court, built the baseball announcer's booth and continued Santa Claus Day in Axtell for the community children. The organization was disbanded in 1994 due to a lack of new younger members.
The L.N. Club was formed June 1, 1923, with Mattie Derby, president; Nina Torrence, vice president; and Rebecca Biddle, reporter. Charter members were Lettie Biddle, Pearl Chapman, Mattie Derby, Bertha Faulkner, Grace Godbout, Lillian McKnight, Elsie Olson, Matilda Sandberg, Dora Stine, Nina Torrence and Elizabeth Vondenkamp.
The last record of the L.N. Club meeting was August 10, 1955, hosted by Charlotte Conger.
The Howard Phillips family later moved away, and the home was sold to Lee and Ola Davis in 1923.
The Axtell Standard , dated August 1, 1929, reported that Dr. C. M. Newman had purchased the Lee Davis residence on State Street for the purpose of establishing a maternity home. The following issue stated that it would be designed and equipped for all general hospital purposes.
Work began in early September, and the September 26 paper reported that the first patients had been admitted. The Presbyterian congregation and the First National Bank of Axtell each voted to furnish a room in the hospital. In October, carpenters began construction of four new rooms on the west side of the hospital.
In 1944 Dr. Newman sold the hospital to nurse Mary Lynch although he continued his practice. Dr. Newman retired in 1949, and in July he was honored at the annual Axtell picnic where there were 1,034 persons present who were wearing "I am a Dr. Newman baby" badges. He had practiced in Axtell for more than 40 years including the years he had an office here before he started the hospital. More than 7,000 patients had entered the hospital during its 29 years of operation.
Owners of the property in 1950 were listed as John and Iris Ward and in 1951 as Lee and Mervine Fisher. Mary Lynch was the owner again in 1953.
Some of the many additional physicians who served the Axtell community through the years were Doctors Hash, Miller, Scimeca, Yanik, Vaughn and O'Neil.
In December 1955, the state announced that the hospital didn't meet required standards and must prepare to close. The Axtell Community Hospital Corporation was formed, bought the hospital from Mary Lynch in July 1956, and drew up plans to build. The move was made to the new hospital in May 1958.
The old hospital was sold to Oren and Irene Sarver that October where they lived and took in boarders. They sold it in July 1972, to Walt and LeNore Stumpf as a family home. Remnants of its hospital background remain in the dumb waiter that still chugs up and down the three stories, the solarium above the large front porch and the original operating table that rests in an attic corner.
(Submitted by LeNore Stumpf - a Dr. Newman baby)
The ground-breaking ceremonies were November 26, 1956. George Tewksbury and Associates were architects for the project. Volunteer labor was an integral ingredient for this project. The volunteers of the community helped with everything from the electrical work to digging foundations and pouring concrete. F. W. Bowlinger Roofing Co. put the roof on the new hospital with a 20-year guarantee at a cost of $1,486. Only three contracts were let for this project: the plumbing and heating, walls and roof covering. Everything else was donated labor. There were no bonds issued or taxes levied for this project. A loan for $16,000 was taken out to cover the remainder of the building expenses.
In March of 1958, Joe and Jane Werner came to the Axtell Hospital to serve as administrators and supervisors. Coming to Axtell was not totally new to Jane as one of her earliest memories is of being treated by Dr. Newman in the old hospital when she was two years old, and Dr. Hash had been the family physician for many years. Their friends, Cleta and Bernard Renyer, who lived at Axtell, told Joe and Jane of the job. Cleta's father, Vince Buessing, was a hospital board member.
The new hospital was well on its way to completion. Much of the work was volunteer labor. Men, like Ernie Mack, would be working, doing the finishing work when Joe and Jane visited to check on the progress each day.
The Schuneman triplets, born in February and from Oneida, were patients in the nursery when Joe and Jane began work. There were four bassinets. When there were more babies born than bassinets, a cardboard box was used for a crib. Baby formula was made by the nurse aide.
The old hospital, where Walt and LeNore Stumpf live now, had always been managed by a nurse who lived in the hospital. She was on continuous call. Joe and Jane moved into the rooms in the old hospital that were for the nurse. Bill Landreth, owner of Axtell Furniture, loaned a bedroom suite for their use. They were also on continuous call. If they left town or even went to visit friends in Axtell, they would notify the hospital where they could be reached. Even after moving into their own home, they would stop at the hospital to tell the staff where they were if it was after 10:00 p.m. because the telephone would be on night service, and the operator would lie down and not be sitting at the switchboard.
In the old hospital there were patient rooms downstairs and upstairs. Most of the activity was upstairs. The room next to the sun porch was used for surgery, outpatient, delivery and workroom. The surgical linen and the instruments used for surgery were sterilized in a pressure cooker on gas burners. Medications were stored and dispensed from a little room at the top of the stairs that also had a sink where hand washing was done and small equipment was cleaned and stored. The old charts and medical records were stored in boxes on the floor in the attic.
The kitchen was in the basement. The staff ate meals at a large round table there. The meal trays were sent up the dumb waiter for the patients. The laundry was also in the basement, and the laundry was hung outside to dry. (The water heater thermostat was defective and the heater had to be lit each morning; the board did not want to fix it, as the hospital would be moving into the new facility in a few weeks.)
In the old hospital there was minimal equipment: a stethoscope, a blood pressure machine and a suction machine. The new facility would have a large autoclave to be used to sterilize instruments and surgical linens and supplies, a water still, a labor room, separate surgery and delivery room, a distinct mother's room with a shower, laundry room and a more convenient kitchen with a dishwasher. Air conditioners were purchased for each room. A water softener was added later. There was also a lab, and equipment was obtained for it.
In May 1958, the new hospital was open for business. A surgery table was purchased for $1,200. New beds and bedside stands were purchased. An x-ray machine was purchased for $2,800. Someone from the company helped install it and taught Joe how to operate it with no extra charge. A chest x-ray cost the patient $10. A gas anesthesia machine was also purchased because ether had been used in the past. Later a generator was installed for possible electrical outage standby. The auxiliary donated many hours and many things to the hospital. They made drapes, provided a great portion of the linens, also clocks, mirrors, equipment and the list goes on and on.
Each fall the community, with the help of the auxiliary, had a food drive. The state inspectors prohibited the use of home canned foods, but the fresh garden items and meat continued to be donated to feed the patients in the hospital.
The new hospital was built because of the persistence of Benton Luse and the cooperation of the community. There were many donations. One couple faithfully donated $1 from each social security check for many years. Many others also readily donated time and services. For example, Benton and Bill Landreth were called frequently to carry the large oxygen tanks up the stairs or to help take a patient down the stairs, as there was no elevator.
Nurse aides and other employees were paid 50 cents a hour. The hospital was staffed with nurse aides and occasionally a professional nurse. Room rates in the old hospital were $3 and $5. The rates slowly climbed to $10. The average hospital cost to have a baby was $90. Jane's salary was $300, and Joe's was $200 per month. In 1967, the passing of Medicare forced changes. Around the clock staffing of registered nurses was required. Welfare adopted the same requirements. Nurses to cover the shifts were found after extensive search. Nurses were paid $2.75 and $3.00 per hour.
Money-making projects by the auxiliary, hospital board and organizations in the community to help defray the costs associated with the hospital included bake sales, dances and musical programs spearheaded by the Lions Club. On August 15, 1962, the first of many community carnivals was held to benefit the hospital building fund. This night also celebrated Dr. Hash's 25th anniversary as a doctor. Over 2,000 people attended the event with more than 400 of "Dr. Hash's" babies registered and attending.
In October 1965, the remainder of the hospital debt was paid in full. This could not have been done without the support of the Axtell and surrounding communities.
In January 1971, the hospital auxiliary was disbanded, and they gave the balance of their funds to the hospital board to use in the hospital. At this time a stay in the hospital was $10/day and the nursery was $1/day.
In January 1972, Dr. Hash suffered a stroke, which left the hospital without a resident physician. While efforts were being made to secure one, the hospital was temporarily closed. In February, Dr. Robert Yanik, D.O., of Louisburg, Kansas, moved to Axtell with his family to practice, and the hospital was reopened. In May 1972, a special hospital board meeting was held, and the decision was made to close the hospital for good. The hospital board checked into the possibility of converting the building into a clinic for Dr. Yanik. Dr. Yanik closed his office June 24, 1972, due to lack of business.
The community attempted to secure another resident physician for the hospital to no avail. Dr. James Lueger, D.O., from Seneca, has had office hours on Thursday mornings for the past ten years or so in Axtell. He took over Dr. Hash's practice in July 1979, after his death.
The hospital building was sold to Jim Scott who later sold it to the present owner, Carolyn Jones. Funds from the sale were used for medical needs for the community including the funding of requirement for the first city ambulance.
After the closing of the hospital, Joe and Jane remained in the community. Joe is now a rural mail carrier, and Jane is administrator at County View Estates Nursing Home in Seneca, Kansas. (Submitted by Joe and Jane Werner and Elizabeth Ronnebaum )